About Me

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sentiment Put into Pretty Words

I bought a book at a resale shop down the street for $2.  The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett.  It is a massive collection of single page literature (a few with more) with ties to virtues of character e.g., compassion, friendship, forgiveness, work ethic, etc.  I bought this because there are so many times when I can't think of an example of life to teach my children about a particular struggle or situation.  I bought this with the intent of teaching them.  But, as always, I get something fun along the way.

The Sin of Omission
By Margaret E. Sangster

It isn't the thing you do, dear,
It's the thing you leave undone
That gives you a bit of a heartache
At the setting of the sun.
The tender word forgotten,
The letter you did not write,
The flowers you did not send, dear,
Are your haunting ghosts at night.

The stone you might have lifted
Out of a brother's way;
The bit of heartsome counsel
You were hurried too much to say;
The loving touch of the hand, dear,
The gentle, winning tone
Which you had not time or thought for
With troubles enough of your own.

Those little acts of kindness
So easily out of mind,
Those chances to be angels
Which we poor mortals find--
They come in night and silence,
Each sad reproachful wraith,
When hope is faint and flagging;
And a chill has fallen on faith.

For life is all too short,dear,
And sorrow is all too great,
To suffer our slow compassion
That tarries until too late;
And it isn't the thing you do, dear,
It's the thing you leave undone
Which gives you a bit of a heartache
At the setting of the sun.

When we confess our sins in mass, we include "...in what I have done and I have failed to do..."  We think of the things that we haven't done--missed mass, or to forgive, or really big things.  But, I guess that we forget, that the little tiny things are what dirty up the soul.  Mostly because we think they are little and they won't make a difference.

I won't confess to not writing notes or unsent flowers as sin but, I will do my best to avoid regret. :o)